Back to Blog
gas fireplace safety smoke flame

Tips from Experts to Ensure Your Family’s Safety

For homeowners who want the convenience of control that comes with central heating but love to sit around the warmth and radiance of a roaring fire, there is no better addition to the home than a gas fireplace in Ottawa. Unlike their wood-burning counterparts, these fireplaces can be turned on automatically, giving you complete control over the temperature. You can even turn it on via remote control! But like all things where both gas and fire are concerned, there are safety risks associated with ownership, especially if you have children. Here are some tips for making your home as safe as possible:

Have It Inspected by a Specialist

Staying on top of regular maintenance is an important safety precaution with any fireplace. And if you own a model fuelled by natural gas, it’s even more important! Issues such as gas leaks and improper ventilation can quickly become hazardous to your health. The best thing to do is to have a certified specialist inspect your fireplace and everything connected to it at least once a year. The best time to do this is in the late summer, before you turn it on for the first time in the autumn.

Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Even if you’ve had your gas fireplace inspected already this year, there is still a risk that faulty ventilation could lead to carbon monoxide leaking into your home. Carbon monoxide is odourless, tasteless, and colourless. In other words, undetectable to the human sense, and potentially lethal. Your best defense for you and your family is to have a working carbon monoxide detector installed. Check to make sure its batteries are working about as often as you would for a regular smoke detector.

Don’t Forego a Safety Screen

All modern natural gas-burning stoves and fireplaces have a glass door on them, but not all models include a safety screen, since these have only been legally mandated in North America for a little under a year. But if you have children (and especially small children) running around, you will certainly need to install a safety screen. That’s because the glass door can become so hot to the touch that even an accidental graze can cause severe burns. A safety screen creates a buffer and ensures that no one can touch the glass—even accidentally.

Mind Your Fire Safety

Your best defence is common sense! Don’t leave anything flammable or likely to melt near your fireplace. Always keep a close eye on your children when it’s turned on, especially if they are at that stage where they are more curious than cautious. A gas fireplace is a terrific asset to your home, but it also a responsibility—always treat it as such!